Communication is the invisible thread that bonds humanity. Expressions and language help us to connect with each other in meaningful ways.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

When Your WHY Makes You Different

It is easy for me to lose perspective when I am immersed in trying to exact change.  I sometimes get to the point where I can't see the forest for the trees and I start spinning in directions I had no intention of spinning and I become so disheartened, first with the behaviors of those around me that are getting me down, and second, with myself for allowing these behaviors to influence me.  I am reminded of the story of the king and the well:

There was once a wise king who ruled over a vast kingdom. Now, in the heart of the city, there was a well with pure and crystalline waters from which the king and all the inhabitants drank. When all were asleep, three witches entered the city and poured seven drops of a strange liquid into the well. They said that henceforth all who drink this water shall be “of a different mind”.

The next day, all the people drank of the water, but not the king. And the people began to say, "The king is ‘of a different mind’ and has lost his reason. Look how strangely he behaves. He is not like us any more."

The king, aware of what had transpired, was faced with a dilemma: drink from the well and become like the rest of his subjects, but remain king; or don’t drink from the well, remain “single minded”, but be swept from power by those who would view his very state of mind as a threat.
There are times when I feel that I am of a different mind, and that the leaders I work with are like those who drank of the tainted well.  Sometimes I feel pressure to move away from my core, my heart space, my WHY, just to fit in.  My heart goes out to anyone who has a "calling" that speaks so loudly to them that they CAN'T resist, but who find themselves so often lonely for like minded company and a sense of belonging versus always feeling different and somehow outside of the collective.  I find myself wondering if I am truly where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment