Communication is the invisible thread that bonds humanity. Expressions and language help us to connect with each other in meaningful ways.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The End Doesn't Have to Be The End

"When it's over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it's over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world." Poet Mary Oliver from When Death Comes

How much of my time, attention, energy and resources is spent on things that are impermanent? More than I really want to admit. I recently watched a short video clip of Simon Sinek's from 2007:
http://www.captureyourflag.com/interview-library/how-to-set-life-goals-to-leave-a-personal-legacy-to-society.html

If I account for my age as a count down to zero, using standard life expectancy, I'm in my early twenties. When I think about how driven I was to discover my WHY in my twenties, I realize that I have become complacent, comparatively speaking. The good news is that I also have a good deal more knowledge and experience under my belt and, if I choose to, I can really make the next twenty something years count in a way that wasn't possible when I was twenty something. If I work smart and focus on service to others and on being the kind of leader who empowers and celebrates others. In truth, I am looking forward with anticipation to this part of my journey. There is comfort in knowing that life goes on, even as the count down continues. The imperative is not to leave my mark, but to pay it forward and to provide, where possible the step up that others may need in finding their voice and impacting their world in positive ways. It is a bright and inviting future that leads to the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment