Communication is the invisible thread that bonds humanity. Expressions and language help us to connect with each other in meaningful ways.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Living a Life That is Expanding


This last week was FILLED to overflowing with learnings, and connecting with others; with meaningful conversations and thoughtful doing.  It was a great week, and it felt as if I was immersed in an amazingly rich river of events, people, places, thoughts, ideas and emptiness... floating... experiencing... enjoying... contemplating.  I started with a class in the Culture of Service in PA.  I was able to reconnect with a GREAT group of people that I hadn't spent time with in awhile.  Even as they were struggling with the challenges they face, they were thoughtful, gracious, welcoming and kind.  We spent time together, learning, laughing, sharing and, ultimately connecting in ways that enriched all of our lives over those three days.  I was reminded how challenging it can be to be removed from your "tribe".  Those who have to live away from their support group, their member base, their tribe, have unique challenges.  In a way, they are their own sub tribe, and as such sometimes don't operate in the collective.  There is so much that might be read into these behaviors, and yet, when I was with them I "got" what limited contact and connectivity can do to someone who simply wants to belong.  It was an honor and a privilege to spend time with them.  To hear their stories and to embrace their struggles.  Being marginalized and struggling with a sense of being connected and belonging is the challenge that many people face today.  To be able to hug someone, to look in their eyes and be able to say, "It is GOOD to see you" has so much more meaning and caring to it than anything you can deliver electronically.  Human contact is KEY to truly staying connected.  The rest seems like smoke and mirrors in the face of a hug and a kind word.

The weekend was spent at a seminar at a camp in Northern Wisconsin with yet another great group of people as we learned about DISC behaviors and how they played out in Biblical characters.  I sooo loved the stories, and parables and the depth of insight and understanding of relationships that the DISC brought to these stories.  I was able to, again, spend time with a group of people that were absolutely delightful and to have the opportunity to contemplate and absorb new ideas and concepts that enriched my understanding.

Finally, Jess and I went back to Madison to, once again, help at Deer Park in preparation for the arrival of the Dalai Lama.  It was a great chance to really get physical with moving wheel barrows of mulch up and down hills, bedding flowers and edging hedge rows.  There is something very rewarding about being able to stand back, after working so hard, and admire the progress that one has made.  All in all the week was a great mix of contemplative and physical.  If I measure the quality of my life in this week, I am sooooo blessed to be able to do what I do and to be with those who I was able to be with.  I am honored and grateful to have had this amazing week and these unique opportunities.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment