Communication is the invisible thread that bonds humanity. Expressions and language help us to connect with each other in meaningful ways.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Minds Strange Landscape

It is 4AM and I just woke out of a great sleep with an idea that just wouldn't leave me. It drove me to get out of bed and to send it off to be shared. Now understand, I really like sleep. I spend so much of my time driven, regulated, structured, and limited, that, when I sleep, I feel that I am finally able to shed the boundaries of the physical world and to do things that I couldn't otherwise. Since I can remember, I have had dream awareness and control. One of my favorite reoccurring, self created dreams is flying, or more specifically, soaring beyond the atmosphere of earth, out into the amazing black spaces of our solar system. Out there, in my mind, the size of the landscape in terms of space and matter is massive. Out there I am the atom, one among countless, occupying the head of a pin. It is really fun to explore that space and to feel the level of freedom my mind allows. I have also traveled into the world of cells, in my dreams, and have been bowled over by the pulsing, driven nature of life at that level. It reminded me of a jam packed manufacturing facility with all hands on deck, all machining monuments going at the same time, people intently going here, going there, forklifts humming by, a bee hive of life. It is noisy, driven, frenetic at times, and never sleeps. If a cell reaches it's end, it's remains are carried off, and it is replaced. There is an imperative, in that dream world, and it is life.

So, to make a long story longer, it takes a rather strong thought/idea to pull me away from my love of exploring my dream state, and this morning was one of those mornings where one of those ideas did just that. Which leads me to share that, when a thought or idea commands that kind of attention, I make it a point to pay attention to it. To give it space to find voice and to explore possibilities. It seems only fair, in retrospect, that if the dream state gives my waking mind such pleasure, awe, and inspiration, that the dream mind wouldn't want to have similar opportunities, in return, in the waking state. In truth, it seems a rather simple and thoughtful thing to do, to give voice and possibly substance to the dream mind, and it has lead my waking state in directions I could never have imagined. It has also allowed me to experience my waking state through new eyes, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment